From:
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2016 10:35:33 -0700

     Although we knew of the BBC series, "Dickensian," written by the
creator of
"Eastenders," it seemed not to intersect in any serious way with the
concerns of
readers of Dickens.  We are happy, however, to have the judgment of Grahame
Smith on the now discontinued series:     pjm

Other grumpy old lovers of Dickens’s novels may be pleased to know that
this series
is not to be continued because of falling viewing figures. It did
possess a vivid sense
of place perhaps and some of its plot devices were fairly well achieved,
the betrayal
of Miss Havisham for example. But its devastating weakness was, surely,
it reliance
on modern dialogue which bore no relation to the vitality of Dickens’s
own language.