From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:56:02 -0700
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 08:06:53 -0400
From: "H. Philip Bolton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Charles Dickens Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      1978 TV film of Hard Times (fwd)

Here's what I know about the Granada Hard Times.  I had an indication years
ago that it was available.  Try writing to Granada?

Hope this helps at least a little--H. Philip Bolton

TELEPLAY:  HARD TIMES. 4 PARTS
SCREENWRITER:  ARTHUR HOPCRAFT; DIRECTED BY JOHN IRVIN
GRANADA TV BROADCASTS 25 OCT, 1, 8, 15 NOV 1977
LETTER AND PROMOTIONAL LITERATURE SENT TO GORDON PHILO FROM GEOFFREY LUGG;
DICKENS STUDIES NEWSLETTER VIII (1977) 96; IX (1978) 32, 64
This has been the only Grenada television production of a drama from Dickens
to date (July 1985).  This is available on videocasettes.  Bounderby by
Timothy West; Gradgrind by Patrick Allen; Mrs. Gradgrind by Ursula Howells;
Louisa by Jacqueline Tong; Tom by Richard Wren; Rachel by Barbara Ewing;
Stephen by Alan Dobie; Sissy Jupe by Michelle Dibnah; Harthouse by Edward
Fox; Sleary by Harry Markham; Mrs. Sparsit by Rosalie Crutchley.
See DSN for list of reviews, including London Times XXVI (26 Oct. 1977) 9.
This was several times rebroadcast--see below.  It seems also to have been
broadcast in the United States, on WNET.