From:
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:29:55 -0700
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 17:57:19 +0800
From: Fong Min Hun <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New User...

Hello, I am a new user of this mailing list...actually, I've been lurking
for over a year but never had enough nerve to post. I am an avid reader of
Dickens, but as most, I like reading his more popular novels ex: Tale of 2
Cities, Great Expectations, The Pickwick Papers, Hard Times and etc.
However, I really detest Oliver Twist for details I won't go into.
        I am now reading The Cricken on the Hearth, on of his less well know
book and it is his third Christmas book. I am about to embark on it tonight
so, sorry, no points to ponder yet.
        I have noticed that most Dicken's critics have criticised A Tale of
2 Cities as his best and worst work. According to a Mr R. L. Fisher in the
afterword of the Aerie publication of the unabridged work, he has mentioned
that the *seasoned* Dicken's reader will find the book unbelievable as there
were too many coincidences in it.
        I cannot agree with this as I find it a very insightful book on the
people, situation and sacrifices a man must make so that others could live.
It is true that coincidence makes it happen so that Carton is the exact
replica of Darnay, that Defarge's former employer turned out to be Mannette,
and that Darnay, an Evremonde should marry Lucy, one of his family's most
flarantly abused victims....but perhaps, just perhaps, that is what adds
spice into the book.
        Therefore, I must say that the above work remains to be one of my
favourite Dickens work and I will be looking forward to hearing any comments
that anybody might have about my opinions.

PS. I think this list is great and joining it was "A far,far better thing I
do, than I've ever done".

Min Hun