From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:38:29 -0800

	Robert Newsom <[log in to unmask]> has been looking for some
exactness in testing whether Scrooge qualifies as a miser:    (pjm)
---
*OED* gives the definition "A person who hoards wealth and lives miserably
in order to do so" and thus reminds us that the word is cognate with
"misery," both deriving from the classical Latin *miser*, an adjective
meaning "wretched, unfortunate."

Scrooge certainly lives drastically below his means and is miserable
centrally and generally. The *Carol's* movement is in the end to make him
happy as well as to make those who surround him happy through the happiness
he finds in his new-found benevolence. He becomes extremely generous with
his wealth. He may not be as extreme in his pre-conversion pathology as the
misers Noddy Boffin reads about, but the misery and the pathology of the
miser are surely the whole point.

Emeritus Professor Robert Newsom
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of English