From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:40:34 -0800

	Grahame Smith <[log in to unmask]> forwards a
recommendation that may indeed be too late, Christmas busy-mess being what
it is.  The post makes us think of Jingle on the woman who lost her
head under the arch, but what other passages does the post refer to?
(pjm)
---

I hope it's not too late to recommend a piece by the English novelist
[Howard Jacobson] in The Independent for 29 December 2012 headlined 'It's
easy to love the Christmassy Dickens. But can we deal with the brutally
funny one?'

With the aid of some incisive remarks from Santayana, Jacobson
moves convincingly to his conclusion that 'we are grown too refined'
for the brutally funny Dickens. 'Quite simply, we are not robust
enough to enjoy him.'

Grahame Smith (Emeritus Stirling)