From:
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:00:46 -0800
Friends of Dickens Forum,

	First, Brenda Rossini <[log in to unmask]> urges us not to...
"overlook these excellent books:  Convivial Dickens by Hewett
and Axton-- with laudable illustrations, and Punch by David Wondrich
as well.

	And, then, in her personal and individual way, Valerie Lillington
<[log in to unmask]> tries an experiment herself:            (pjm)

---
Dear friends,

	 I know [an earlier post has been dubbed the last on] burnt sherry
but this morning I decided to burn some.

	I put a sherry glass full of sweet sherry (only the best -
Australian, of course) in a teflon lined saucepan on full heat and stood
guard.  Soon it started to boil and reduce quickly and went a deep
brown, as opposed to the light colour it was.  At that point I poured it
out and when cool, drank it.  It was truly delicious!    O.K., so
I didn't actually burn it but it would very soon have been a crisp and
no-one meant that, I'm sure.   I love to cook and the liqueur-like nectar I
just made will feature in future recipes here.  That's what I think is
meant by burnt sherry!

Valerie