From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 1994 16:36:53 -0800
A cross-posting from the VICTORIA list:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 1994 15:22:14 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]

Help, once more!  Friends, thinking I am a Victorian "expert," keep asking
me reasonable questions that I am ashamed not to be able to answer.  The
Victorian List keeps making me look good, and I would appreciate suggestions
on the following:

A friend -- non-Victorian -- vaguely remembers a scene in Dickens in which
a character meditates on the "unknowability of the other."  I can't recall
such a scene.  My instinct takes me either to LITTLE DORRIT or BARNABY
RUDGE, but if the scene exists, it could be anywhere.  Does anyone remember
such a scene in Dickens.  If so, please save my reputation and send me your
answer so I can save face.

George Levine
LEVINE @ZODIAC.RUTGERS.EDU