From:
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 20:42:41 -0700
Friends,

        I have wondered how many of you have participated in the
project "Discovering Dickens," conducted under the aegis of Stanford
University Continuing Studies.  We sent word of the project last year to
the effect that it would provide anyone signing up eighteen installments
of _Great Expectations_, photo-printed (I believe is the term) from the
weekly publication of the novel in _All the Year Round_ from 1 December
1860 to 3 August 1861.  The Stanford version is now complete.

        Now in front of me is an almost complete series (somehow I missed
No. 9), and I am happy to have them. Each number has a gray-green cover
with an illustration by F.W. Pailthorpe*. The inside-cover page first has
a letter explaining how the project came about, and the inside back-cover
page uses available space for an apt illustration from 19th-century
sources and a few short notes to the number.  The whole looks like what
"cheap Victorian printing practices" produced, only this version was done
by a modern printing company.  The size matches the size of the ATYR
pages, and the print is legible, but not up to that of the sample page
provided by  David Paroissien on page 20 of his _Companion to Great
Expectations_.

        The project sought to involve its recipients in public and group
readings and discussions, and had a good deal of support and interest
around Stanford.  For one like me who did not participate in the regular
readings, just having the individual numbers, really the first edition,
of the novel in hand was a pleasure

        The project is now asking for recipients to answer a few questions
for them in a survey so that they can "continue to offer such
publications to another eager group of readers."

        The original address of the project, not for the
survey, is Discovering Dickens <[log in to unmask]>, and
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/dickens/

Cordially,

Patrick McCarthy, UC Santa Barbara

*I was puzzled by the name of F. W. Pailthorpe as illustrator.
Issues of ATYR were without illustrations. Pailthorpe had earlier done
some illustrations for _Picwick Papers_, and I came across a book
published in 1885 entitled _Great Expectations_ and described as
"twenty-one engraved plates, after etchings by F.W. P."  These plates the
Stanford editors used for the cover illustrations of their version.
PJM