From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 10:30:46 -0700

     Leslie Katz <[log in to unmask]>  reminds us--or tells us, if we did not
know--that there were two Warrens, and  that it is easy to confuse them.
(pjm)

  Dear List,

  I've now read the article by Nina Martyris, the subject of some earlier
  posts. In it, she claims that having Sam Weller prefer Day & Martin's
  blacking to Warren's blacking in Pickwick was Dickens's revenge on
  Warren for his having worked for him as a boy.

  However, the Warren being referred to in Pickwick was Robert Warren,
  while the Warren for whom Dickens had worked as a boy was Robert's
  relative and then-competitor Jonathan.

  Leslie