From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 13:08:09 -0700
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 09:38:57 -0800
From: Alyce Steidler <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Dickens' Commonplace Book

Someone mentioned last night on a television talk show (of all places!) that Dickens kept what was referred to as a "commonplace book",  a type of personal journal.  I have never read anywhere nor heard of Dickens' maintaining a journal.  I would think that with all of his professional writing in additon to his prolific letter writing that he would have been disinclined to write in his free time!  Does anyone know of any evidence that exists of Dickens keeping a journal?  Since I myself am a mad journal keeper, I would love to know.  My writing students would also be interested in this aspect of his self expression.