From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:06:59 -0700
    The following is self-explanatory.  I add thanks to Jack Far-
rell, who was patient with my system's inability to read his
BinHex-ed file.

    The bibliography will be added to the DICKNS-L archives.  You
will be getting a post soon about what is available and how to
access it all.

Patrick McCarthy

Our Mutual Friend: Selected Bibliography

N.B.  The following list was developed for a specific project (in process)
and seemed to me, at first, possibly useful to someone who posted an
inquiry on the Dickens List.  In re-reading the posting, it became clear
to me that this isn't at all the sort of thing that was requested.
However, Patrick McCarthy kindly suggested that I add it to the Dickns-L
archiv which I'm glad to do.  Not all germane items (by any means) are
included and some items will seem, to the general user, not at all
germane.  But it may serve someone's purpose beside my own.  I'd be glad
to receive corrections (but please ignore matters of correct form)

Jack Farrell
[log in to unmask] (John P. Farrell)
Department of English
University of Texas Austin, TX 78712

Arac, Jonathan.  Commissioned Spirits: The Shaping of Social Motion in
Dickens, Carlyle, Melville, and Hawthorne.  New Brunswick, NJ:  Rutgers UP,
1979.

Baker, Robert S.  "Imagination and Literacy in Dickens' Our Mutual Friend,"
Criticism 18 (1976) 57-72.

Bakhtin, M.M.  The Dialogic Imagination: Four Essays. Ed. Michael Holquist.
Trans. Caryl Emerson and Michael Holquist.  Austin: University of
Texas Press, 1981.

Bakhtin, M. M.. Speech Genres and Other Late Essays. trans. Vern
W. McGee.  Ed. Caryl Emerson and Michael Holquist.  Austin:
University of Texas Press, 1986.

Bakhtin, M. M.  Art and Answerability: Early Philosophical Essays.
Ed. Michael Holquist and Vadim Liapunov.  Trans. Vadim Liapunov
(Austin: U. of Texas Press, 1990)

Barickman, Richard.  "The Comedy of Survival in Dickens' Novels,"
Novel 11 (1978), 128-143.

Bernstein, Carol L.  The Celebration of Scandel: Toward the Sublime in
Victorian Urban Fiction.  University Park, Pa.: Pennsylvania State UP,
1991.

Brantlinger, Patrick.  The Spirit of Reform: British Literature and
Politics, 1832-1867.  Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard UP, 1967.

Carey, John. The Violent Effigy: A Study of Dickens' Imagination.
London: Faber & Faber, 1973.

Chase, Karen.  Eros and Psyche: The Representation of Personality
in Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, George Eliot.  NY: Methuen,
1984.

Connor, Stephen   Charles Dickens.  London: Basil Blackwell,
1985.

David, Deirdre.  Fictions of Resolution in Three Victorian Novels..  New
York: Columbia UP, 1981.

Duncan, Ian.  Modern Romance and the Transformations of the Novel: The
Gothic, Scott, Dickens.  Cambridge UP, 1992.

Ermarth, Elizabeth.  Realism and Consensus in the English Novel. Princeton:
Princeton UP, 1983.

Flint, Kate.  Dickens.   Brighton, Sussex: Harvester, 1986.

Friedman, Stanley  "A Loose Thread in Our Mutual Friend," Dickens
Studies Newsletter, 1 (1970), 18-20.

________________..  "The Motif of Reading in Our Mutual Friend,"
NCF 28(1973), 38-61).

Gribble, Jennifer.  Depth and Surface in Our Mutual Friend,"
Essays in Criticism, 25 (1975), 197-214.

Hardy, Barbara.  The Moral Art of Dickens.  NY: Oxford UP, 1970.

Herst, Beth.  The Dickens Hero: Selfhood and Alienation in the
Dickens World.  New York: St. Martin's, 1990.

Hobsbaum, Philip.  "The Critics and Our Mutual Friend," Essays in
Criticism 13 (1963), 231-239.

Hutter, Albert D.  "Dismemberment and Articulation in Our Mutual
Friend," Dickens Study Annual, 11 (1983),  135-175.

______________.  "The Novelist as Resurrectionist: Dickens and
the Dilemma of Death,"  Dickens Studies Annual 12 (1983), 1-39.

Ingham, Patricia.  Dickens, Women, and Language  (New York: Har-
vester, 1992).

Jaffe, Audrey.  Vanishing Points: Dickens, Narrative, and the
Subject of Omniscience.  Berkeley: U. of Calfornia Pr.,  1991.

Kearns, Katherine.  "A Tropology of Realism in Hard Times'" ELH
59 (1992), 857- 881.

Kincaid, James R.  Dickens and the Rhetoric of Laughter.  Oxford:
Clarendon Pr, 1971.

Knoepflmacher, U. C.  Laughter and Despair: Readings in Ten
Novels of the Victorian Era.  Berkeley: U. of California P,
1971.

Kucich, John.  Excess and Restraint in the Novels of Charles
Dickens.  Athens: U of Georgia P, 1981.

Lukacher, Ned.  Primal Scenes: Literature, Philosophy and
Psychoanalysis.  Ithaca, NY.: Cornell UP, 1986.

McCarthy, Patrick.  "Designs and Disorder: The Language of Death
in Our Mutual Friend," Dickens Studies Annual  17 (19988), 129-
44.

Marks, Patricia.  "Storytelling as Mimesis in Our Mutual Friend,"
Dickens Quarterly  5 (1988), 23-30.

Metz, Nancy Aycock.  "The Artistic Reclamation of Waste in Our
Mutual Friend  "  Nineteenth-Century Fiction.  34 (1979), 59-72.

Miller, J. Hillis.  Charles Dickens: The World of His Novels.
Harvard, 1958.

_____________. The Form of Victorian Fiction: Notre Dame UP,
1968.

Morris, Pam.  Dickens' Class Consciousness: A Marginal View.
London: Macmillan, 1991.

Morson, Gary Saul & Caryl Emerson.  Mikhail Bakhtin: Creation of
a Prosaics.  Stanford: Stanford UP, 1990.

Mundhenk, Rosemary.  "The Education of the Reader in Our Mutual
Friend," NCF 34 (1979), 41-57.

O'Donnell, Patrick.  "'Speeches of Chaff': Ventriloquy and
Expression in Our Mutual Friend," Dickens Studies Annual 19 (1990), 247-279.

Newsom, Robert.  "'To Scatter Dust': Fancy and Authenticity in
Our Mutual Friend," Dickens Studies Annual 8 (1980), 39-59.

Pike, Burton.  The Image of the City in Modern Literature.  Prin-
ceton UP, 1981.

Qualls, Barry.  "Savages in a 'Bran-New' World: Carlyle and Our
Mutual Friend,"  SNNTS   10 (1978), 199-217.

Romano, John.  Dickens and Reality.  NY: Columbia UP, 1977.

Schwarzbach, F. S.  Dickens and the City.  London: Athlone Pr.,
1979.

Smith, Peter.  Public and Private Value : Studies in the
Nineteenth-Century Novel.  Cambridge, Eng.: Cambridge UP, 1984.

Sadrin, Anny.  Parentage and Inheritance in the Novels of Charles
Dickens. Cambridge, Eng.: Cambridge UP, 1994.

Shea, F. X.  "Mr. Venus Observed: the Plot Change in Our Mutual
Friend," PLL 4 (1968), 170-181.

Solomon, J. Fisher.  "Realism, Rhetoric, and Reification: Or the
Case of the Missing Detective in Our Mutual Friend," Modern Philology
1988]

Steward, Garrett.  Dickens and the Trials of Imagination.  Cam-
bridge, Mass.: Harvard UP, 1974.

Stone, Harry.  The Night Side of Dickens: Cannibalism, Passion,
Necessity. Columbus: Ohio State UP, 1994.

Suchoff, David.  Critical Theory of the Novel: MasssSociety and
Cultural Criticism in Dickens, Melville, and Kafka.   Madison: U Wisconsin
P, 1994

Taylor, Charles.  "Atomism" in Philosophy and the Human Sciences:
Philosophical Papers  (Cambridge, Eng.: Cambridge University
Press, 1985), II.  187-210.

________________.  "The Dialogical Self" in The Interpretive
Turn: Philosophy, Science, and Culture, ed. David Hiley.  (Ithaca, NY:
Cornell UP, 1991), 304-314..

________________.  "The Politics of Recognition" in Multi-
culturalism, ed. Amy Gutmann.  (Princeton, NJ: Princeton UP, 1994), 25-73.

Taylor, Charles.  Sources of the Self:  The Making of
the Modern Identity .  Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard U Press, 1989.

Welsh, Alexander.  The City of Dickens.   (Cambridge, Mass.: Har-
vard UP, 1971).

Williams, Raymond.    "The Reader in Hard Times " in Writing in
Society (London: Verso, 1983).

_________________.  "Dickens and Social Ideas" in Dickens 1970,
ed. Michael Slater.  NY: Stein and Day, 1970.

_________________.  The English Novel from Dickens to Lawrence.
London: Chatto & Windus, 1970

Williams, Raymond.     The Country and the City  (NY: Oxford
University Press, 1975)

_________________.   The Long Revolution.  rev. ed. NY: Harper &
Row, 1966.

________________.  Marxism and Literature.  Oxford: Oxford UP,