From:
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 10:14:10 -0700

	Menalcus Lankford <[log in to unmask]> writes:
----
Here's a question for the list:

Years ago I remember hearing what I believe was at one time a
well-known line, probably by a prominent critic or writer,
disparaging Dickens's young female heroines. I believe it might have
been a witty line comparing them to trees -- something like "as limp
as willows and sappy as....?" I don't think it's actually fair
-- it's a more complex and interesting issue than that --  but I do
remember it as pithy statement of that familiar critique, which I
would like to retrieve.  Can anyone help me out?