From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:55:39 -0700
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 21:37:05 EDT
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "Dickens of London" (fwd)

There was a DICKENS OF LONDON series produced by Yorkshire Television,
that was aired on Masterpiece Theatre August 28-October30,l977.

It is included in the book A DECADE OF MASTERPIECE THEATRE MASTERPIECES
- Commentary by Alistair Cooke.  It is described as a brave attempt to
dramatize the first thirty-two years of Dickens's life, as recalled by
Dickens himself, on his reading tour in America.

I thought the series was excellent.  The only drawback was that the actor
who played Dickens as a young man (Gene Foad) left the series prematurely.
I would definitely like to see this series again.

It is encouraging to know that this excellent series is being released
on video, after all of these years.  It's unfortunate that it is so
expensive.
I wish that PBS would consider running it again, along with all of the other
excellent series aired from l970 to l980 on Masterpiece Theatre.

Pat Vinci