From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1993 09:50:33 -0700
From Nancy Metz <[log in to unmask]>:

Joe Gardner's helpful reply to my recent Chuzzlewit queries made me realize
I had phrased my question badly.  Here's the relevant quotation with a
clarification of what I am looking for:

Chapter 7:  (Montague Tigg to Tom Pinch)  "If you could have seen me, Mr.
Pinch, at the head of my regiment on the coast of Africa, charging in the
form of a hollow square with the women and children and the regimental
plate-chest in the centre,you would not have known me for the same man."

I am assuming that these claims are fraudulent, but I would like to be able
to say quite specifically how and why they are fraudulent.  To do so, I'll
need to improve my current knowledge of whatever military actions might (or
might not) have taken place "on the coasts of Africa" that would be
consistent with Tigg's age and the 1830s setting of the novel.