From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 08:59:39 -0700
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 15:27:18 EDT
From: WEBB DENNIS W <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The London Underground

FROM: Dennis W. Webb
SUBJECT: The London Underground

A recent short documentary on the building of the New York subway
system mentioned that the London subway began operation during the
1860's.  I had always assumed that subway systems, even London's,
hadn't come into being until nearer century's end.  It occurred to me
that I couldn't remember a single reference in all the Dickens novels
to the London subway.  He wrote about above-ground trains, of course,
and, if I remember correctly, was in two serious train accidents.
But what of the below-ground trains?  Do these figure in any of the
novels?  And what did he think of them?

-Dennis Webb