From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:34:04 -0700
Friends,

	First George Newlin's query:

I have just had brought to my attention an article allegedly by CD (but
published anonymously), in Household Words dated June 12, 1858, called "Nurse in
Leading-Strings," which is stated to have had influence in the development of
the profession of nursing.  Matz in his great work, using the Contributors' Book
for HW, does not mention this item, and accordingly neither did I in my
Everyone in Dickens.  Does anyone know of this piece?  george newlin

	To which [log in to unmask]  quickly responded:

Henry Morley was the contributor for this piece, according to Lohrli's
Household Words.
Gill Ballinger

	John Drew <[log in to unmask]> elaborates interestingly on
Gill's response:						(pjm)

Dear George Newlin,

Here is Anne Lohrli's entry in her Table of Contents, List of
Contributors&c. compiled from the HW Office book (p. 180): 'The Nurse in
Leading Strings' [in part from Florence Nightingale, The Institution of
Kaiserwerth, 1851], 602-606 / Morley [i.e. by Henry Morley] I think this
would normally be taken as definitive--but CD and Morley worked very
closely on many articles: it might be worth looking at more closely
depending on the source of the allegations of CD's authorship.

Best,

John Drew

Dr John ML Drew
Senior Lecturer in English Literature