From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 11:31:38 -0700
An inquiry from  Marianne Eismann <[log in to unmask]>:

Recently I saw a reference to an older book or article that listed the
contents of Dickens' library. I was positive I would remember the
citation, and didn't write it down.

Of course, I didn't remember it and so am appealing to the list for
help.  There's probably more than one place to look, but I've searched
our library's computer and card catalogs and can't find anything.

Thanks very much--

                --------------

A partial response:

1) The "Inventory of Contents of 1 Devonshire Terrace, May 1854"
   has an inventory of CD's books.  It is reprinted in
   _The Letters of Charles Dickens_, Pilgrim Edition, III, 711-
   726.

2) Shorthouse [J.H.?] has done a catalogue of Dickens's books
   at Gadshill, which is published, but I do not have the
   bibliographical information.  It is the one reprinted, I
   believe, in _Catalog of the library of Charles Dickens from
   Gadshill, reprinted from Sotheran's `Price Current of literature
   nos. CLXXIV and CLXXV, London: Picadilly fountain press,
   1935.

        I have seen the Shorthouse, I think at the British
   Museum.  The Southeran catalog is available from the
   University of California library system.

Patrick McCarthy