From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 09:45:30 -0800
Original message from Eric Johnson

   I wondered if list members know of Dickens' novels in elec-
tronic (machine-readable) form.  Oxford University Press has issued
electronic editions of Austen, Coleridge, and others, and they announced
that Dickens' novels would be available, but I understand that the
project has been put on hold.
______

First response:

This probably does not speak exactly to the request for informa-
tion on electronic texts of Dickens, but there is a hypertext program for
Macintosh called *The Dickens Web*  It is a collection of elec-
tronically linked texts and images concerning Great Expectations and Vic-
torian England in general.

A copy is available at the Center for Electronic Texts in the
Humanities (CETH), a joint project of Rutgers and Princeton, but I believe
it is commercially produced and commercially available.  If you want
further information, let me know.

Kevin Mulcahy                      [log in to unmask]
Alexander Library                  Phone: (908) 932-7014
Rutgers University                 New Brunswick, NJ 08903
_______

Second Response:

I know of the project to issue Dickens in electronic form;
and your comment that the project has been put on hold,
explains why I haven't heard more. Having all of Dickens
in electronic, machine-readable form, would be most valuable.
I wonder what's holding Oxford up?

One result of the ongoing editing of Carlyle - the
first volume of the Strouse Carlyle edition, On Heroes,
Hero-Worship, and the Heroic in History, the first critical
edition of Carlyle done according to modern bibliographic
principles is now out from UC PRess - includes machine readable
texts. If people are interested in learning more about these
texts which are available in browser format, contact
Dan Wenger at Santa Cruz aka [log in to unmask]

Murray Baumgarten <[log in to unmask]>
The Dickens Project
Editor-in-Chief, Strouse Carlyle Edition

Patrick <[log in to unmask]>