From:
Patrick Mccarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:56:05 -0800
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:02:11 -0800
From: kate watt <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: #2 When Did Literature Professors Stop Knowing Dickens?

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the DICKNS-L list at
LISTSERV.UCSB.EDU. If you simply forward it back to the list, using a mail command that generates
"Resent-" fields (ask your local user support or consult the documentation of your mail program if in
doubt), it will be distributed and the explanations you are now reading will be removed automatically.
If on the other hand you edit the contributions you receive into a digest, you will have to remove this
paragraph manually. Finally, you should be able to contact the author of this message by using the
normal "reply" function of your mail program. ----------------- Message requiring your approval (36

Anent ignorance ---

a prof I know once gave a rousing lecture, in a film class, on the willing suspension of disbelief,
mentioning Wordsworth and Coleridge in passing.  A senior creative writing major, sensing that something
important had been said but not quite being able to put her finger on it, came up to him after class and
asked, who's this Wordsworth guy?

How many students graduate college, or grad school, with a solid grounding in the canon anymore?  Yes,
expand it, amend it, rethink it, but hey, still teach it.  Or so say I.

Kate Carnell Watt

                                               Kate Carnell Watt