From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:18:28 -0800

Although we read *The New Yorker*, we missed this sprightly piece by
David Denby which

celebrates his return to reading Charles Dickens.  Thank you, Ronald H.
Blumer <[log in to unmask]>!  (pjm)

People are always 'rediscovering' how great Dickens is. This from New

Yorker critic David Denby from this week. Ronald Blumer

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/beyond-expectations-rereading-dickens

"What I had forgotten was DickensÂ’'s joy in writing, which he shares with
the reader. You are rooting for him to take chances, to score, to go for
it, to reach for the seemingly irrelevant detail, the louche metaphor. He
exhibits so exuberant and generous a degree of writerly candor and
companionability that the reader is always loyal to him: this man is
happily working to entertain us."