From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:43:03 -0800

	We need not remind Dickens-ellers that Robert Patten has written
the standard work on Dickens and His Publishers, need we?  As far as it
can be found, Patten's conclusions are based on evidence.  (Oh, but we
dearly love anecdotes!)  Here's Patten on PP and TTC:		(pjm)
-------

I may be entering this conversation late, and have missed an earlier
reference to the (London) Telegraph, which on 8 May 2010 printed an
article saying that TTC has sold 200,000,000 copies and is the
best-seller of all time.  I don't know how authoritative that is.  I
don't know whether it takes into account translations and adaptations,
graphic versions, etc.  Publishers tend to be secretive about their
sales; I don't think there is a world-wide agency that collects
information about sales in all languages and in all countries.  See
Wikipedia's list of best-selling books but use with caution!

Bob