From:
Robert Newsom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2019 10:16:52 -0700
Very sad news indeed. Patrick is truly irreplaceable. It is one thing to
moderate a list by filtering inappropriate postings. It is quite another to
moderate by contextualizing posts, supplying valuable cross-references and
tips on how to search and, most important of all, set a welcoming,
generous, and always civilized (as well as civil) tone.

The forum can never be the same without Patrick's benevolent and expert
guidance. He founded it and was its guardian angel.

I first met Patrick very early on at the annual Dickens Universe
conferences in Santa Cruz and steadily got to know and admire him more and
more over the years up to and after his retirement. Although more than
twenty years older than I, we had a good deal in common: the Victorians of
course, also Columbia, and before that not just our home town, but our
small hometown neighborhoods: Manhattan's Yorkville on the upper East Side.

He always made me feel special, as I believe he made everybody at the
Universe and on the list feel special (even those he specially did not so
much admire).

I have missed DICKNS-L much over the past year. It is hard to imagine,
especially with the advent of social media, and even with an equally
devoted and wise moderator, that it can survive.

And I shall often wonder, "What would Patrick have said?"

Bob