From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:32:15 -0800

	On frog, Pickwick, and the Kentish dialect from David Parker once
more, and a smiling reaction from Valerie Lester:         (pjm)

a)

Stephen Jarvis had told me personally about the nineteenth-century meaning
of "pickwick," and I do feel this is something worth pursuing.  Cautiously,
perhaps.  The novel itself entertains readers by introducing the matter of
Pickwick coaches, and we know that Moses Pickwick, their proprietor, can be
related to the village of Pickwick outside Bath.  The OED,  moreover, gives no
example of "pickwick," meaning an instrument for adjusting  the wick of a lamp
candle, dating from before 1864.  The old  OED, that's to say.  I don't have
ready access to the new.   But the searching of texts prior to 1836 might well
yield something, and suggest  a hitherto hidden level of meaning.

But I still can't think of any connection between Boz and frogs.

David Parker

B) Valerie Lester <[log in to unmask]>

 Greetings,

	I was delighted to learn from Stephen Jarvis's message that Moses
was a dialect word for frog in Kent.  Next time I have a cold and
come across a frog, I will know what to call it.

	Valerie Lester