From:
Brian Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2019 22:42:17 -0700
Dear All,

It is my sad duty to inform the members of the dickns-l mailing list
that this list's founder and long-time moderator, Patrick McCarthy,
passed away on May 20 at the age of ninety-six.

Professor McCarthy's obituary can be read here:
https://www.independent.com/obits/2019/05/27/patrick-j-mccarthy-2/

In the past year or more Professor McCarthy was unable to moderate the
list as he had been accustomed to, so your postings failed to appear.
But as the IT person in the UCSB Department of English, I have arranged
to take custodianship of the list on a temporary basis and will moderate
it in collaboration with one of Professor McCarthy's colleagues until we
can find a new owner/moderator. I am not a scholar or Dickensian but we
will endeavor to review daily postings and approve submissions. If any
of you wish to nominate a successor to Professor McCarthy, we should be
glad to hear the nomination and will consider candidates.

Professor McCarthy often spoke of this list and I know he would have
wanted it to continue to be a resource for Dickens readers around the world.

Best Regards,

Brian Reynolds
Systems Administrator
Department of English