From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 1995 13:59:36 -0700
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 95 15:55:25 CDT
From: linda putnam <[log in to unmask]>

John Dickens supposedly was incarcereated for a L40 debt to a Camden Town
baker.  I recently read that, in addition, he had a total debt of L700.  How
did he accumulate this debt?  How did he spend this much money?

In addition, I've mostly read that people often spent several years to a
lifetime in debtors prison.  I also read, and I can't remember the source,
that the maximum stay in debtors' prison in early 19th century was 6 months.
Comments?

Linda Putnam