From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 14:11:12 -0700
Readers if Dickens...

This query came to me directly, but I leave it to wiser souls in
such matters.  It may well interest bibliographers and students
of Dickens illustrations, and as Ms. O'Brien says, those interested
in the technical side of Dickens.  (I apologize for the run-over lines;
they came with the posting.) (PJM)

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 97 16:34:33 -0700
From: Carol O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>

Prof. McCarthy,

I have come upon an edition of the Pickwick Papers that has me stumped.  The title
page reads, "The Posthumous Papers of the PICKWICK Club/Charles DICKENS/with 43
illustrations by R. Seymour and 'Phiz'/London: Chapman and Hall, Limited. W.R.
Howell."  All looks fine until what comes after "Limited."  There is no publication
date, and I can find no other reference to Dickens or Chapman and Hall with
a W.R.Howell, Co.  (I am an art historian poking around with the foredge
illustrations.)  I subscribe to a quarterly CD-ROM called ArtFact.  When I search for
W.R. Howell, three hits indicate that in 1911, 1913, and 1924, a W.R. Howell
published illustrated texts for three books with disparate subject matter, and
despite the "Co." after their name they published in Britain. They are no longer
listed as publishers in the England.

In addition, the book is foredged with a watercolor of a horse and buggy scene in
sepias and green tones.

Have you any knowledge of a connection between Howell and Chapman and Hall?
Foredgers seldom signed their works and Howell seems to be a publishing company. In
any event, the foredging was always done later, and I have never seen the name of a
foredger on the title page.  I found Chapman and Hall's fax number and wrote to "The
ARchivist," asking the same question, but that was ten days ago and I have heard
nothing from them.

I have searched all the catalogs.  While I have found some pirated
"P.P of P.C." of Dickens, Howell isn't among them, nor do
they seem to be listed among those who re-bound Dickens's books.

  Perhaps you are not interested in the technical side of Dickens works.
If not, can you suggest someone knowledgeable about editions of Dickens,
especially the Pickwick Club?  I would appreciate any help you can give..

Thank you.

Carol O'Brien