From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:45:21 -0700
Friends of the Dickns-l,

     We have been sitting on two sources of information about Florence
Marryat  (1838-99):
Google (photograph included) and John Sutherland's *Victorian Fiction*
(1989).   The latter is
an astonishing piece of work,  which synopsises 554 Victorian novels and
includes entries on 878
individual authors.

     Florence Marryat  had eight children by a T. Ross Church, a soldier
serving in India.  In 1879 she
divorced Church to marry Captain Francis Lean, and then wrote "some
ninety works of fiction."  She
was a formidable woman living as part of a productive novel writing
family whose father (Captain Frederick)
wrote endless fictions and three of  whose sisters were also novelists.
   She expected fellow writer Dickens
to be helpful, to help her improve a manuscript.  After all. he was a
friend of her prolific, successful father.

     The recently found letter show Dickens  a bit put our by her
demands, but subsequent letters show
him still cordial to her.

Patrick McCarthy
Editor, Dickns-l