From:
Patrick Mccarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:15:42 -0800
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:25:14 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: When Did Literature Professors Stop Knowing Dickens?

The chief objection to postmodern literary theory is its flimsy intellectual
foundations, but its effects are worth grumbling about too.  Surely at least
a partial answer to Joseph Bottum's question is, "When they stopped thinking
about poems, plays and novels, and started thinking instead about theories of
literature."  A keen and clever English major recently asked me, "Who is
Thackeray?"  I hope I was informative, kind and supportive in my response,
but my thoughts about some of the people who must have been teaching her were
bloodthirsty.

David Parker