From:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2016 10:57:08 -0700
Friends  of the Dickens Forum,

     We had worried a trifle that someone would quote from one or other
attempt by an -ist of
some sort or other to label Miss Wade.  The fit would almost certainly
be awkward.  Now
Robert Newsom <[log in to unmask]>, wary of such traps, sees Miss
Wade as
best compared to others of CD's characters:   (pjm)
-----------
> It was Lionel Trilling who first pointed out that Miss Wade is "the exact
> inversion of Esther Summerson." I think he was right, and that fact alone
> might account for her being given the chance to tell her own story in the
> first person and why we might find it interesting. She marks a path down
> which Esther might well have gone. In *Bleak House* we have an inversion of
> Esther in Mlle. Hortense. Of course Amy Dorrit bears many similarities with
> Esther and is also an opposite of Miss Wade.
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Patrick McCarthy <[log in to unmask]
>> wrote:
Friends of the Dickens Forum,

  Tony Pointon <[log in to unmask]> follows up on Susan Jhirad's
broaching  a fascinating question: