From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2016 13:34:11 -0700

Each of us has his own version of June 9, 1870   Certain details have
fixed themselves
in our memories, and they come to mind when we think of Dickens's death.
We happen to
recall a paragraph written by Dickens earlier that day.   We are
aware--and others have so
cautioned us--not to read too much into it.

      A brilliant morning shines on the old city.  Its antiquities and
ruins are surprisingly
     beautiful, with its lusty ivy gleaming in the sun, rich trees
waving in the balmy air.
     Changes of glorious light from moving boughs, songs of birds,
scents from gardens
     woods, and fields--or, rather. from the one great garden of the
whole cultivated
     island in its yielding time--penetrate into the Cathedral, subdue
its earthy odour, and
     preach the Resurrection and the Life.  The cold stone tombs of
centuries grow
     warm; and flecks of brightness dart into the sternest marble
corners of the building,
     fluttering there like wings.
       Our long-term colleague Harry Moscovitz has provided his readers
an account of Dickens's
     death quoting long passages from a variety of sources.  He has
passed on this
     cornucopia of quotations to us.                             PJM