From:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:05:18 -0700

	Catherine Carter <[log in to unmask]> has looked into the
first of three questions posed by Judith Flanders after reading an essay
in *Household Words* called "Trading in death."  Judith deduces that
Dickens was making up most of the items he said were advertised, but Kate
Carter wishes to look into one of them:

> 1) Does anyone have a good guess about what a 'funeral life-preserver' might
>  be? The OED only gives two meanings - a cosh and a lifejacket - and neither
>  seems something that one would buy from a tailor.

I'm not sure one wouldn't buy a life preserver from a tailor if one were a
member of the gentry.  I don't mean the simple ring but the early kind
which was a waistcoat or vest with slabs of cork for  buoyancy.

Catherine Carter