From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:53:26 -0700

     Lin-Manuel Miranda had caught our eye and interest, and Bob Patten
<[log in to unmask]> wants us all to know
what his NYT interview may mean to us, particularly the teachers:
                             (pjm0
-------

Dear Patrick,

For all those teachers who have to persuade their classes, and all the
students to have to be persuaded, that /A Tale of Two Cities/ or /Bleak
House/ is worth slogging through, here's a tribute to Dickens published
in the /New York Times Book Review/, 10 April 2016, p. 8, from
Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator and star of the Broadway smash hit, the
hip-hop musical /Hamilton/, sold out through January 2017 already:

I’m most in awe of novelists, who move sets, lights, scenery, and act
out all the parts in your mind for you. My kind of writing [for the
theater] requires collaboration with others to truly ignite. But I think
of Dickens, or Cervantes, or Márquez, or Morrison, and I can describe to
you the worlds they paint and inhabit. To engender empathy and create a
world using only words is the closest thing we have to magic.

Yes!

Bob Patten