NABOKV-L Archives

Vladimir Nabokov Forum

NABOKV-L@LISTSERV.UCSB.EDU

From:
HenHanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Nabokov Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:03:41 -0700
           Thank you...   This is such a treat !

I didn't realize that [Bleak House]  was a whole semester, and not
just a unit in a semester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jX7_pZ-AzU
The Metamorphosis - A Study: Nabokov on Kafka (1989) Christopher Plummer

 So it seems that Nabokov was charming and funny, in a way that's
much more subdued and subtle than as portrayed by Christopher Plummer.

 I'd love to hear her (the former student's) impressions of
 what aspects  of  VN's  style or demeanor   Plummer  _did_ capture.
__________________

 I wonder...      Are there any anecdotes about VN
        being rude or insulting to a slow or lazy student ?

 ( Racist   remarks that white American ("liberal") professors
    made  to my face   are among my most unforgettable memories. )

__________________

 I probably mentioned this before, but  OF particular interest to me
is  VN 's  attitude toward his translators.    A passage in [Strong Opinions]
suggests that he might have been arrogant toward his Japanese or Chinese
translators.

But I tend to think that his "superior" persona   was  mostly an act.
-- the [Proud Russian] intellectual  (role)  that he was playing
because that was what the readers want to see.

Passages from Prof. Boyd's 2-volume biography indicated to me
that VN was quite patient with his European translators,
never abusive or insulting.