Friends of the Dickens Forum,

     Grahame Smith <[log in to unmask]>   has been alerted to "John
Thomas Smith
and his Remarkable Beggars" by his daughter, and he thinks the drawings
published in 1815
"just might be of interest" to us.   We found no working URL in
Grahame's message, but
by calling up John Thomas Smith on Google, we found out what the Smiths
had in mind.

     The drawings are remarkable.  Smith, a black artist, found
eye-opening subjects and
then rendered them in a detailed but, we must say, somewhat unrealistic
fashion.   His
people are not portrayed as down-and-out as we think they must have
been.    Photographs
of a somewhat later period  show the begging poor to be sorry and
touching, some, proud;
most, pitiable.   John Thomas Smith, for his part, gives his subjects  a
certain achieved style and
remarkable picturesqueness.

     Dickens, of course, did not omit the ragged, sad, and hopeless.

P. McCarthy
UC Santa Barbara