Friends,

     We, too, Mr. Eliot,  did our best to "purify the language of the
tribe."   And, more likely than not, we should try again.
We would be in good company.   E'en so, we enjoy hearing again that
"Fears of Language decline seem to be a human
universal."   Thanks to Miriam Margolyes and Herb Moscovitz, we have the
following lively review of the evidence:
  (Patrick McCarthy, professor emeritus UCSB; editor, Dickns-l )