Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Mike Quinn writes with what I like to think is a New Yorker's downrightness.
We are disposed to agree with him: "Give it a rest."                (pjm)

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Big Surprise! Charles Dickens and Catherine Hogarth Dickens
were actual human beings. They actually had faults and failings
and made bad decisions at times. Big surprise!
It’s a pity that we can’t all be as perfect as Chadband
or as comfortable as the Veneerings.

Seriously, what’s the big deal? Let the Dickens  “bashers”
bash. The record on Charles Dickens speaks for itself.

Give it a rest, please! After all, Hitler and Stalin
probably liked their dogs and  gave money to the poor on occasion.

We love Charles Dickens for  his generosity of spirit,
his humanity, his afflicting of the too comfortable and his defense of
the downtrodden not to mention his marvelous writings.

If he had never written anything other than
A Christmas Carol he did what he was placed on earth to do.
If I ever get to Heaven I hope CD will greet me there.
Ditto for Catherine.

Mike J. Quinn
The Friends of Dickens New York
(718) 801-2694