Friends of the Dickens Forum,

     Herb Moscovitz has broad and unfailing sources of information about
the Dickens world and
generously passes it on to the Dickens Forum.  The news that a bound
annotated collection of ATYR
has surfaced has stirred considerable interest and drawn its measure of
exaggerated claims. It is not,
pace Thomas L. McDonald, a "discovery [which] essentially rewrites the
history of Victorian literature."
But it draws the curtain away from a body of periodical writing largely
anonymous.  Now, as you will
see, concerns are being expressed as to where this new collection will
end up:                 (pjm)

/A)
/

> [...]

> prospect of poring over dozens of previously unattributed works by
> writers including Wilkie Collins, Mrs Gaskell and Lewis Carroll, the
> delicate question is also beginning to be asked of just what the
> 20-volume collection, spread over 12,000 pages, is worth and where it
> might eventually end up.
>
> As well as being counted among Britain’s greatest novelists and
> judicious observers of human frailty, Dickens is also one of the most
> collectable. His following of monied admirers across the world last
> year ensured that  a signed copy of/A Tale of Two Cities/, inscribed
> to George Eliot, was sold for a record-breaking £275,000.
>
> The result is that scholars are already pressing for the
> groundbreaking discovery of what appears to be the/Oliver
> Twist/author’s personal collection of his weekly periodical to
> eventually end up in an institution, preferably on one in the United
> Kingdom.
>
> The immaculate leather-bound collection was bought by Dr Jeremy
> Parrott, an antiquarian bookseller and Dickens expert in his own
> right, from an unnamed online seller in Wrexham for an undisclosed sum.
>
> Its discovery represents a major breakthrough because, in keeping with
> practice of the Dickensian era, nearly all articles in/All the Year
> Round/were published without the writer’s name. Notes in the margins
> of the volumes bought by Dr Parrott, most apparently in Dickens’ own
> hand, reveal for the first time the identity of  up to 400 separate
> contributors to the magazine, which was published between 1859 and 1895.
>
> Professor Michael Slater, the eminent Dickens scholar and an academic
> advisor the London’s Charles Dickens Museum, told/The Independent/:
> “Like all British Dickens scholars I fervently hope that this uniquely
> important set of volumes, such a rich and major resource for everyone
> interested not only in Dickens but in all those who wrote for him,
> will stay in this country.”
>
> Prof Slater added that he believed the “natural home” would be in the
> library of the Dickens Museum, or failing that the British Library.
> Interest is, however, also likely to be shown from abroad, in
> particular American libraries and museums.
>
> For such an outcome to be secured, any organisation with ambitions to
> own the collection will have to raise a substantial sum. One leading
> expert on rare books said it was likely the volumes would have an
> asking price of about £100,000.
>
> Brian Lake, president of the Antiquarian Booksellers’ Association,
> said: “It is one of those things that you might happen upon once in a
> lifetime. If the collection is as it has been described, it is very
> important in terms of attributing works to lots and lots of authors.
> In terms of value, it is different from something like the signed copy
> of/A Tale of Two Cities/. But nonetheless I would expect a collection
> like this to have a value around £100,000.”

C)