Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Julian Crowe <[log in to unmask]> considers a likelihood, suggests
we look at an article in *All the Year Round,* and uncovers a Velocipede Club!  (pjm)

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

It's hard to believe that Dickens could have kept quiet about it if he had
tried riding a bicycle.  Could it be that it wasn't Dickens himself who was
taught by "the person" referred to but the author of the witty article
"Riding For Health" in AYR 9 October 1869?  See

http://www.djo.org.uk/all-the-year-round/volume-ii-new-series/page-444.html

Incidentally, the (bicycling) Pickwick Club may not have been the first
bicycling organization, although it may be (as its website says) the oldest
surviving such club, and the choice of name is of interest as a touching
tribute to Dickens so soon after his death.  The Liverpool Velocipede Club
organized a tour from Liverpool to London on bicycles in March 1869, but I
suppose it might be said that it had been formed as a club for users of
three or four wheeled velocipedes before going over to bicycles.

Best wishes

Julian Crowe

On 18 October 2015 at 23:36, Patrick McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>