Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Karen Ellery <[log in to unmask]>  has been pondering a subject which
she wonders may be old hat:                                                            (pjm)
--------

Subject: Venality & Sex: Thoughts for a Cold Monday

Fortunately I am past the point in life where I have to worry about writing papers anymore,
 but it occurs to me that there is quite a good bit of material on women selling themselves—
or being sold—in Dickens. From Nancy in OT, to Edith Granger in D&S, to Kate in NN, there
seems to be some pretty explicit reference to marketing women in one form or another. I
suppose you’d have to decide whether you wanted to include more run-of-the-mill marriages
for money (Mrs Quilp, the Lammles, & the dilemma facing Bella Wilfer) or just stick to the
cases where the marketing seems pretty clear. Then again, that might leave out Nancy. What
think you, is this old hat?

Karen