Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Robert Tracy <rtracy@berkeley,edu> likes to put words in context:                    (pjm)
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Colleagues: In context, Eugene describes "our friend" as living on a
bland invalid diet, until his doctor told him he could eat more interesting
food. When he did so, a leg of mutton soon finished him off. "Daygo" is, as
Don Cox points out, the ending of the day, sunset, sundown. Here it seems
to be "our friend's" death, that "dying of the light" that Dylan Thomas
urges us to "rage, rage" against.
Robert Tracy

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Patrick McCarthy <[log in to unmask]