Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Gail Turley Houston has come across a word in OMF which, in our young street days used to be a racial slur:  (pjm)
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Colleagues:  I'm trying to find the meaning of a slang term in Dickens's OMF:  In chapter two, book 1, Eugene is discussing the gossip re the dead man and says: "'Except,' Eugene strikes in: so unexpectedly that the mature young lady, who has forgotten all about him, with a start takes the epaulette out of his way: 'except our friend who long lived on rice-pudding and isinglass, till at length to his something or other, his physician said something else, and a leg of mutton somehow ended in daygo.'"

Does anyone know what "daygo" means?  I couldn't find it in the Victorian slang dictionary. Thanks!  gail

Gail Turley Houston

Recipient, Governor's Award for

Outstanding New Mexico Women, 2011

Professor, Associate Chair Graduate Studies, English

Department of English

University of New Mexico

Humanities Bldg 227

MSC03 2170