Friends of the Dickens Forum:,

    Here Ruth Richardson <[log in to unmask]> re-imagines a situation:  (pjm)
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

I think I am right in saying that Dickens answered testily to a *second*
letter from Miss Marryat. He had already rejected her piece, when she asked
for detailed reasons/help to improve it/editing... that's when he blew! He
was under pressure, and couldn't be avuncular about every item sent in,
especially if he thought it was poor stuff. A man who wrote so many books,
wrote  & edited so much journalism, had 2 or 3 households, ten? children,
countless hangers-on, a sweetheart, and was being importuned to give
speeches hither & yon... how could he be expected to give creative writing
tutorials? And isn't there a hint that Miss Marryat was using her surname
to get preferential treatment? No wonder he died aged 58.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Patrick McCarthy <[log in to unmask]