Friends of the Dickens Forum,

    Tony Pointon [log in to unmask]"><tony,[log in to unmask]> accuses The Daily Telegraph of "denigrating" Dickens.
We realize that finding fault [especially with the later] Dickens is not uncommon:      (pjm)
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Marryat Letter.

The newspaper, *daily Telegraph*, has had a principle of denigrating
Dickens over a long period of time, often aided and abetted by people who
should know better. One time they even published an erroneous piece which
gratuitously harmed one of his living descendants.

Reading the "Marryat letter", it has to be one of a sequence: (a) Miss
Marryat submits a piece to him for publication; (b) Dickens rejects it with
his normal  courtesy; (c) Miss M writes back asking for his detailed
reasons for his rejection, a request that an editor would normally ignore;
(d) Dickens spells out the facts of publishing life to Miss M but takes
time to give her detailed comments.

Of course, every newspaper editor would recognise this, but there is too
much fun in denigrating Dickens for them (and others) to exercise any
thought before attacking him.

Tony Pointon

On 31 March 2016 at 18:37, Patrick McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>