Friends of the Dickens Forum.

    The following post from Robert Newsom <[log in to unmask]> has--bewilderingly--
chosen to reach some Dickns-ellers and not others.  To iron out the wrinkle we are re-sending
Bob's post with a nod to the cybernetic gods.

    By the by,  four others of you have sent posts not yet distributed.  We will get your thoughts on the
way in short order.                                                                        (pjm)

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

I don't think the letter is particularly rude nor atypical. Dickens
bristled whenever he thought his professionalism was in question, and in
this case he seems to have been offended by the request that he go over the
submission in great detail and offer a paragraph-by-paragraph critique
showing the writer where she had gone wrong.

Perhaps she presumed that, being the daughter of a writer Dickens
considered a friend, she could expect to receive special handling. But CD
would have found that extremely unprofessional in an aspiring writer,
whether or not the child of a friend. And truly he did not have the time
for such favors. Perhaps the length of his reply testifies to his
friendship with Maryatt in a backhanded way. A true nobody might have
received no reply at all. (As the child of a writer you of all people
really should know better.)

None of this should be difficult for the people at the Telegraph or Bonhams
to fathom. They are professionals too.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Patrick McCarthy <