Very sad news indeed. Patrick is truly irreplaceable. It is one thing to moderate a list by filtering inappropriate postings. It is quite another to moderate by contextualizing posts, supplying valuable cross-references and tips on how to search and, most important of all, set a welcoming, generous, and always civilized (as well as civil) tone.

The forum can never be the same without Patrick's benevolent and expert guidance. He founded it and was its guardian angel.

I first met Patrick very early on at the annual Dickens Universe conferences in Santa Cruz and steadily got to know and admire him more and more over the years up to and after his retirement. Although more than twenty years older than I, we had a good deal in common: the Victorians of course, also Columbia, and before that not just our home town, but our small hometown neighborhoods: Manhattan's Yorkville on the upper East Side.

He always made me feel special, as I believe he made everybody at the Universe and on the list feel special (even those he specially did not so much admire).

I have missed DICKNS-L much over the past year. It is hard to imagine, especially with the advent of social media, and even with an equally devoted and wise moderator, that it can survive.

And I shall often wonder, "What would Patrick have said?"

Bob