My favorite passage anywhere on translation is in Bend Sinister (one of those available to RBG at Cornell!) -- does anyone have it at hand? The intricate machine that is nothing like a tree but casts the same shadow at the same moment, in the chapter about Shakespeare. Sometimes I get those re-re-translated Shakespeare quotes mixed up with the real ones, like Pnin!
--Tim